Sunday, October 25, 2009

Event: In the Wings
Date: Oct.23, 2009
Venue: Daniels Recital Hall, Seattle, WA


Deborah Henson-Conant's work in progress was work-shopped in this world premier, and it always amazes me that there are so few people that come to these events. Here is a short video preview. The theatre seats 1200 and there were not many more than 100 people there. Deborah is a huge talent, and I've had the pleasure of seeing many of her concerts and spending time talking with her at various conferences and workshops. Lori and I even did an impromptu stint selling her CD's and working her sound system once at a concert in Topanga Canyon.



I've always had a problem with the "strap-on" harp; mostly from an aesthetic perspective. I can surely see the limitations of playing an instrument as static as the harp, despite the fact that she has revolutionized the harp world with her jazzy dance numbers while standing behind the instrument - traditionally harpists sat demurely behind their harps. I know I wish I could play the piano while having all the wild moves of musicians playing the electric guitar. However, I don't believe the answer is making a strap on piano, but rather adopting a playing technique like Jerry Lee Lewis. I saw Jerry Lee Lewis live many years ago, and despite the fact that he must have been in his 70's , he still had that jack-hammer technique which characterises his playing. As a pianist, it was exhausting just watching the way he played. Having said that, it would also be handy to have a series of disposable pianos since Mr. Lewis pretty much destroys any instrument he touches.


My problem with the strap on, however, is not with the idea of getting the harpist out from behind the back of the instrument, but rather the inevitable subconscious associations with other lurid paraphernalia. Personally, I can't help thinking of ancient Greek satyrs and their perpetually engorged members, but that's my reference. More lurid minds might have other associations involving ladies of the Sapphic persuasion.


Aesthetic considerations aside, the show was enjoyable, if somewhat disjointed and difficult to follow at times. It is a work in progress, and no doubt much re-writing will have to take place before it can be considered finished.

The main reason for going was that my good friend Janelle was in it, and was actually the second most important character in the story. She actually upstaged Deborah a couple of times, ironically by just being herself. I say ironic because Deborah is a larger than life personality, and she was not really acting here either.


Before the concert I walked around Pioneer square and had dinner there. Right on the corner is a fabulous bookstore that I would love to have lingered in - it is exactly what a bookstore should be, quirky, in an old building with squeaky wooden floors. Downstairs is a lounging area for reading, with a coffee and deserts, and just as I was leaving they were having a reading by an author. If only any store in Vancouver could do this and compete with Chapters. I was there probably less than 1/2 an hour, but this has now become my favorite bookstore in North America.
Seattle is a great town and I have to make a point of visiting more often.











No comments: